(Thessaloniki) Museum of the Roman Forum:
From the temporary exhibition "…young and in excellent health", Aspects of youths’ life in ancient Macedonia.
A funerary monument with a black youth, accompanied by a horse. (2nd century A.D), from the part of the exhibition about the importance of youth and beauty in ancient greek culture.
Byzantine Monuments of Thessaloniki / The church of Acheiropoietos:
The church of Acheiropoietos was constructed in the 5th century A.D atop the remnants of a Roman bathhouse complex.
Ever since its foundation the church was dedicated to the Virgin Mary and up until the 14th century it was known as the Great Church of the Holy Virgin. The church is a typical basilica with a timber roof, three aisles, narthex and galleries.
Only a small part of the original 5th century mosaics survive in the church. Other features include theodosian capitals that were probably constructed in a workshop in a Constantinople. The frescoes surviving are from the 13th century.
In 1430, after the Ottoman conquest of the city, the church was the first to be converted to a mosque by the sultan Murad. After liberation in 1912 the church received its first restoration. In 1922-1923 the structure housed the refugees from Minor Asia*, and no sooner than 1930 it was restored to Christian worship.
*4th row, 2nd picture.